Proud of its history
Founded by Adolf von Schauenburg in 1143 and reinvigorated by Henry Lionheart in 1157, Emperor Frederick 11 declared Lübeck a directly subordinate city as early as 1226. Lübeck grew powerful and prosperous as the centre of medieval city states, which dominated trading in the North and Baltic Seas. At this time, Lübeck was Germany's second largest city, trailing only Cologne.
As a free, imperial city, it remained independent and unfettered until 1937. It suffered deep wounds as a result of the Second World War. However, the proverbial Hanseatic community awareness enabled the reconstruction of the famous seven golden towers, numerous townhouses, alleyways, courtyards and monasteries.